Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Yes, I might have an opinion or at least something to say

About some movies, like I had of 'Unthinkable'. I would not call them critiques or reviews, no. I'd just say they are my personal thoughts and reflections of something I have seen. I'm not a critic, no, but a fellow artist, who has experienced something watching these random films... I'm not academic and my thinking and views are totally subjective mixing in my feelings and ideas in a probably quite anarchic way. My way. The only I can have...
There are movies I like, and then there are movies I consider weird like 'Never let me go' - the book was weird, too.  There are older movies and some new ones... During last two weeks I have seen again after years 'The English Patient' and 'Out of Africa', and did still like both. There are movies I have tried to look through, but not succeeded, like '127 hours', 'Buried' and 'Somewhere' - just can't find anything cinematographic in them...
And I don't like long, continuing shoots, no, even if most think them as 'very highly cinematic' as I don't like 'Citizen Kane'  even if I understand why it is promoted and held as the best in the world. I disagree: it is not much of a movie... Orson Welles was clever in a witty way, not in a passionate way, which might have produced better movies... in my opinion. I like sentimentality in movies more than cynicism - and being on the same level with the characters, not above them.

I might want to write about t hose two, and new ones, yes, 'Black Swan', because I did dance ballet as a girl and I don't like Aronofsky's way of thinking... and the same theme - young woman and her ambition - in 'Devil Wears Prada' and 'Burlesque', which I found exhilaratingly funny and sentimental. And yes, in a stupid and everyday way, but I still liked it!

And then the love of years, 'Constant Gardener' - I do so like it! It, too, is sentimental and people in it are very much in loss, but it is an extremely good movie in many ways. And there are others... many others...  Maybe some days if there is nothing else... thinking is so easy and fluent compared to writing - writing is like walking with sticks!

No comments: